Here are the steps from this morning’s Jasmine Heart Topiary I made on Hallmark’s Home & Family show!…
Jasmine Heart Topiary
Terra Cotta Pot
Potted Star Jasmine – it’s very important that is has a few long trailing branches
Metal Coat Hanger
Small piece of construction paper
– Fold a piece of paper in half to free form cut a heart.
Make sure that the size of the heart will fit nicely on the side of your terra cotta pot.
-Trace the heart onto to the construction paper and cut it out.
– Affix heart to pot using spray adhesive.
– Apply joint compound to pot spreading it over the heart and around the sides of the pot.
Make sure to cover the top edge and the fist 2″ of the inside.
– If you’d like a softer finish, blot the compound with a paper towel to create a stippled finish.
-Carefully pull off heart and let pot dry.
– Undo wire hanger.
– Find center and bend hanger in half, creating inner point of heart.
– Gently curve each side into a heart shape.
– Twist bottom pieces together.
– Using pliers, cut off curved former top of hanger.
– You can also do different sizes and shapes of hearts (or circles and squares for that matter!)
– Plant jasmine in pot, trimming all but a few of the longest branches.
– Position heart in pot pressing the two ends firmly into soil.
– Wrap the longer branches around the heart shape, affixing with string if necessary.